Home / OSHA Courses / Awareness of Crystalline Breathable Silica
In the Breathable Crystalline Silica for Construction Awareness course participants will learn the basics about silica and respirable crystalline silica dust that can be found on construction sites. The course is designed to identify the basic health hazards associated with potential exposure, some of the common construction tasks that can result in exposure to respirable crystalline, and typical control measures. This is a management that employers could implement to protect works from possible exposure.
Additionally, course participants will learn the content of OSHA's new regulation regarding silica and respirable crystalline silica, as well as where to obtain a copy of the regulation. The course will teach students to recognize who and what is a competent person and the basic requirements surrounding the new OSHA standards regarding respirable crystalline silica.
Students participating in the Breathable Crystalline Silica for Construction Knowledge course will gain a complete and up-to-date understanding of the magnitude of silica in the construction environment, as well as basic hazards, assessments, and control techniques, as well as of OSHA requirements surrounding respirable crystalline silica.
Course topics include the following:
• Introduction to silica and respirable crystalline silica, including background and definitionsIndustry terms that will be covered include action level, competent person, employee exposure, high efficiency particulate air filter (HEPA), permissible exposure limit, and respirable crystalline silica.
• Common construction activities that have the greatest potential for exposure.
• Common Hazards, Evaluation and Control Techniques for Breathable Silica and Crystalline Silica
• Importance of signage and labels, cleanliness, and a written exposure control plan
• Silica and respirable crystalline silica in construction sum